Tuesday 25 January 2011

Modern fairy sightings

The latest post on www.uncannyuk.com is about a chap who suddenly encountered a glowering goblin while out walking his dog back in the 1960s. It's a yarn I collected myself while giving a talk on Welsh fairylore some years ago.

I find modern fairy sightings particularly fascinating. In the current mindset they just shouldn't happen - but they do. The 'little people' aren't confined to folklore and quaint fireside tales. Like black dogs - another phenomenon out of keeping with modern ideas about returning spirits or playbacks of the past - they are still persistently reported.

I would be delighted to learn of further fairy sightings of modern times. If you have had a fairy sighting or know of one which occurred in the past 50 years (other than those recalled in Janet Bord's excellent 1997 book on Fairies) please do get in touch with me. Comment below or contact me direct via editor@uncannyuk.com

Many thanks!

No comments: